For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Bush - Part 1

Last year was the worst I have ever had in my life and this year, although just started, is proving to be the best with so many things going my way. Now if I were Chinese, I would not say this, as they believe that when you say things are going well, the gods/spirits hear and take away your luck, but I am not superstitious and think I am extremely lucky in so many ways. Maybe one needs to reach the bottom before you can start building things up again?
With all that said and done, where I do begin with this series? Due to completely unforeseen circumstances, on the 1st of January, I found the place to live I have been searching for, for 5 long years. I am back in the bush where I belong and love to be, back to seeing grasshoppers on my beside stand, mantis in my bath and checking my slippers before I put them on to see there are no spiders or scorpions in it. Most of you will shudder at the thought of all this, but for me it is heaven. I now have to drive 1 ½ hours in the traffic to get to work or back whereas before it took me only five minutes, but the feeling of utter peace and tranquility I find when I get home, makes it all worthwhile.
On the day I moved it rained but it did not bother me. I now sit at my study window and look out on nothing but bush.
During the day and at night, I hear the lions and the zebra calling. This has to compare with the sweetest music in my ears.
The place is surrounded with mountains, not very high ones and one even has a cave which I can explore sometime and who knows what I will find in it.
There are miles and more miles I can walk around on and a river nearby which I have not been down to yet.
At night when I get home, the Blue Wildebeest or some other animal is laying in the road to the house and I stop to watch them.
Being summer, there are a lot of babies around and this youngster is less than 3 days old as it still has its umbilical cord.
To get home, sit on the porch and look around at the birds and hear the animals, all the days frantic pace and stress just melts away and I am at peace with the world…….

No comments: