For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dark-webbed Ringlet (Physcaeneura panda)

The Dark-webbed Ringlet (Physcaeneura panda) is a butterfly of the Nymphalidae family and the only one of this species found in South Africa.

The sexes are similar but with the males having more rounded wing than the female.

They are common in the north west areas of South Africa where they are found in the hot flatlands.

They feed on flowers and fruit and are smallish in size.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just lovely!

Andrea said...

Beautiful shots.
And I always appreciate your clear explanations.

Gaelyn said...

I would love to have a reversible skirt made of this pattern. Gorgeous.

Diane said...

They are gorgeous, I don't think I have seen them. Great photos. Diane

Craig Glenn said...

Very nice Joan. I would love being there to photo those.

IF said...

nice shots