For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hyaena - A lucky morning

 I decided to take today off as I needed to go to town to get some things but left early so that I could do a drive around the park first. It turned out to be a nice one as first there was older sister laying on the road catching the first rays of early morning sunshine and doing some babysitting at the same time.....
Then there was baby (about 6-8 months old) looking around inquisitively......

... and mother came along with part of what looks like a Kudu (a large species of buck) in her mouth, heading for the den to feed baby. She probably stole it from the lions.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Lucky viewing. The hyaena is one animal I am very wary of. We had one at the Vet Research Station in Harare and it was not nice natured. I did not fancy the idea of arguing with those jaws!! Great photos. Diane