For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Snake companion

I often set up a light to attract the night-flying insects and one evening at Roodeplaat Dam I was sitting doing just that when I heard something approaching through the bush. Outside of the light area, it is pitch dark so I could not see what it was.
 A few minutes later, this nearly 2m (6’) snake came to lay not 1m (3’) away from me!!


Thank goodness I was not on its menu that night. LOL!! I think it was attracted to the light as it knows a lot of the things it eats would come to eat the insects around it. It was too dark and the photographs not clear enough to make out what kind of snake it was but this is what comes from living in Africa, especially rural places, you never know what is going to crawl out next.

1 comment:

Gaelyn said...

Sure glad it wasn't hungry.