For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Black-ringed Ladybird (Oenopia cinctella)

Family Coccinellidae
This ladybird has got me stumped. I found it in Woody Cape where it was feeding off a Wild Peach tree (Kiggelaria africana).

At first I thought it was Black-ringed Ladybird (Oenopia cinctella) but looking closer, I see that it not anything near the picture I have of it in my book. Firstly the facial marking are different and then seems to have that white line next to the black one.  

It is only about 3-4mm in body length.

Then it seems to have a translucent border around the body as the Tortoise beetles do which is very confusing to me?

 Does anyone have a clue what this beetle may be?

2 comments:

Diane said...

I never realised just how many kinds of ladybirds there were!! Have a good Sunday, Diane

Zola said...

How do I go about posting a photo or even a comment on this page?